Saturday, March 26, 2022

My Drop-dead News Sources

   My Top 5 News 

Depending on the type of news I want depends on the news source I use. I go back and forth between a mix of visual and written sources. I keep myself updated in the criminal, celebrity, and political arenas because those are things that I find interest in.


I mainly watch videos ranging from missing person cases to unsolved cases, and solved cases. I go back and forth between a few Youtubers, and many times watch the same cases but told by different creators. I do this because there can be details in one video that were not in another video. I mainly watch Kendall Rae, Bailey Sarian, and Eleanor Neale. Even though none of them have a history in working in journalism or reporting I trust the information they are uploading. All three women are open about the sources that they use and will link them in the videos description. Specifically, Kendall Rae has worked with victim's loved ones first hand and have included them in videos to help spread accurate information. Last year, Bailey Sarian did a video with Nancy Grace, who was a former prosecutor in Atlanta, GA, a legal commentator, television journalist, and even hosted her own show. They are also transparent when there is not enough information available about a case and if there are conflicting reports about a detail. I watch them because they do those things and are open with their viewers which I think is important when reporting information.


I think of Twitter as a source and a semi source depending on what I find. For example, around the time when “The Batman” released there was an article I came across called “Every Single Batman Movie, Ranked From Worst to Best” by Esquire UK. Then, at the end of February it was trending that “Dozens killed and hundreds wounded by bombing in Kharkiv, Ukrainian officials say”. The difference between the two is that one was an article, and the other was a live update. If I were to search for different articles pertaining to the ranking of Batman movies it would be for fun because it is someone’s opinion. However, with live updates or breaking news I search for different articles to compare. Depending on the type of the article, if it is opinionated or factually based, determines if I will look for more sources to compare and how serious I will take them. I primarily use Twitter as a centralized place for me to find out about some of the major things going on around the world. Then, I go on to do my own research on the topics I want to know more about.


The Washington Post is a top American source that I have seen for years. I utilize the WASHPOST because of the different topics they cover ranging from politics, religion, transportation, business, national security, to lifestyle and more. The WASHPOST derives straight from Washington, D.C. which is the hub for American politics and government. They also have a section on their website dedicated to news in the D.C., Maryland, and Virginia area. I specifically like the WASHPOST for both of those reasons because I want to know what is going on in politics, and I believe the best place is to get it from the source, D.C. I eventually want to live in D.C. whether it is for graduate school or life after school and it will not hurt me to keep up with what is going on in an area that I may live in.


NowThis News, Politics is a source that I use like Twitter, to an extent. Meaning, I follow the NowThis Politics page on Instagram to stay updated with what is going on with the world while I do a quick scroll through my feed. It differs from Twitter since Twitter is a social media platform where users can post the article they want. However, NowThis has their own journalist creating and reporting  stories. I find them to be convenient because they post a mixture of pictures with headlines and short videos covering the main information about a current event. By using them I’ll know what is going on and will follow up with The Washington Post and other news sources to get more information.


I was first introduced to People Magazine by waiting in line to check out groceries and seeing the headlines regarding a celebrity scandal, an engagement, or an exclusive. Celebrity news is a getaway type of news for me, and I like People Magazine even though it can be seen as full of rumors. To a certain extent it is not all rumors or gossip because some celebrities collaborate with People. They may do an exclusive with them and to make an announcement or tell their stories.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy

 Is Privacy Dead?   Electronic Tattoo   Every time that we as consumers of the internet and media choose to upload a personal detail about o...